A kennel assistant is an individual who is responsible for guaranteeing the health and welfare of animals that are housed in a kennel or boarding facility for pets. In a manner analogous to a dog walker’s, their responsibilities go beyond simple housekeeping duties. In this article, we will delve into the essential aspects of what a Kennel Assistant does and the skills required for this rewarding role.
Kennel Assistant Job Overview
Those who work as Kennel Assistants are entrusted with ensuring the health and happiness of the animals they are responsible for. Kennel Assistants are responsible for ensuring that the animals, whether they are dogs, cats, or other companion animals, are provided with a safe, clean, and comfortable environment while they are staying at the facility.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of a Kennel Assistant
- Animal Care: Kennel Assistants provide daily care to animals, including feeding, grooming, and administering medications as directed by veterinary instructions or pet owners.
- Cleaning and Maintenance: Maintaining a hygienic environment is crucial. Kennel Assistants clean and disinfect kennels, litter boxes, and play areas regularly to prevent the spread of diseases and ensure a pleasant living space for the animals.
- Observation and Reporting: Kennel Assistants closely monitor the behaviour and health of animals, promptly reporting any abnormalities or concerns to the veterinary staff or pet owners. It includes observing eating habits, signs of distress, or unusual behaviour.
- Exercise and Playtime: Dogs, in particular, need regular exercise and social interaction. Kennel Assistants organize and supervise playtime, walks, and other activities to keep the animals mentally stimulated and physically active.
- Customer Interaction: Kennel Assistants may interact with pet owners, providing updates on their animals’ well-being, addressing concerns, and ensuring a positive customer experience.
- Basic Administrative Tasks: Handling bookings, maintaining records of animal health, and ensuring that all necessary paperwork is complete are part of the administrative responsibilities of a Kennel Assistant.
Kennel Assistant Job Requirements
To excel in this role, Kennel Assistants should possess:
- Animal Handling Skills: A genuine love for animals and the ability to handle them with care and compassion.
- Physical Fitness: The role demands physical stamina for lifting, cleaning, and managing larger animals.
- Attention to Detail: Keen observation skills to notice changes in behaviour or health conditions.
- Communication Skills: Effectively communicates with pet owners and works collaboratively with veterinary staff.
- Adaptability: Working in a dynamic environment where each day may present new challenges requires flexibility and adaptability.
- Basic Animal Health Knowledge: While not a veterinary role, a basic understanding of common animal health issues is beneficial.
The Kennel Assistant is an essential component of the pet care industry. This individual is responsible for ensuring that animals are provided with the love, attention, and care they require while away from their homes.